Historic Sites of Manitoba: Currie School No. 1952 (Municipality of North Norfolk)
Formally established in March 1919 in what is now the Municipality of North Norfolk, named for Sir Arthur Currie, commander of Canadian Forces during the First World War, a school was duly constructed on three acres of land on the northeast quarter of 25-10-10 west of the Principal Meridian, that had been purchased for $120. Opened in April 1920, the first teacher was Miss Jean Turnbull, hired at a monthly salary of $95. The school served as an educational and social centre for the community until 1965 when it closed and and students were bussed to Rossendale Consolidated School No. 2419. A monument commemorating the former school was dedicated in 1984.
Among the teachers of Currie School was Kenneth S. “Ken” Switzer (1957-1959).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 886.
“Celebrating the contributions of rural permit teachers,” The Valley Leader, 3 June 2009.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Currie School District No. 1952 Daily Register, GR3152, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Sylvia Koshyk and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 May 2017
Back to top of page