Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clairmont School No. 1140 (RM of North Norfolk)

The Clairmont School District was organized formally in July 1901 in the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk, prior to which students attended Chipping Hill School or Lavenham School. The first school building, built at a cost of $301, was located on NE15-10-10W and opened in April 1903. It was moved to this location, NW10-10-10, in the summer of 1918. The building was too large to move along the road so it was cut in two halves and reassembled on site. It closed in 1963 due to consolidation and students were transported to Rossendale Consolidated School No. 2419. Twenty-one teachers taught at Clairmont School over the years, covering grades 1 to 9, with James Hulme as its first teacher. A monument, dedicated at a ceremony on 16 August 1991, was dedicated to the pioneers of the Clairmont School District. The former school building, as of the mid-1980s, was being used for storage.

Clairmont School

The former Clairmont School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 897.

Clairmont School

Clairmont School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.82752, W98.75645
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 884.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.