Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bank of Hamilton Building / Roland 4H Museum (72 Third Street, Roland, RM of Roland)
The first building at this site on Third Street in Roland, in the Rural Municipality of Roland, was a branch of the Bank of Hamilton erected in 1902. The present two-storey brick building, designed by Winnipeg architect William Fingland and measuring 30 feet by 50 feet, replaced it in 1910 at a cost of about $10,000. The building continued in use as a bank branch after the 1923 merger with the Canadian Bank of Commerce. The Royal Bank of Canada came to Roland in 1925 and, after amalgamating with the Union Bank, moved into this building in the early 1930s.
In 1989, the building was deeded to the Rural Municipality of Roland for use of 4-H, the same year the building gained municipal heritage designation. The organization had celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1963 and at that time a monument was erected beside the municipal hall recognizing Roland as the home of Canadian 4-H. Another monument, presented by the Manitoba 4-H Council, was erected by the museum in 2000.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 April 1910, page 2.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 April 1910, page 11.
“Western news,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 April 1910, page 11.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Tim Worth for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 23 June 2023