Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lundi School / Riverton School No. 587 (Riverton, Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)
The Riverton School District was known originally as Lundi School District when it was established May 1885 and a school building operated in the village of Riverton in what is now the Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton. It was used for 30 years before being replaced, in 1919, by a four-classroom frame structure. Only three of the classrooms were used at first, until student attendance warranted opening the fourth classroom, in 1921. When additional classroom space was needed, a new two-room school was built. High school classes were held in the old school; one upstairs and two in its basement, prior to completion of the Riverton Collegiate building in 1961. The district became Riverton Consolidated School No. 2443 in 1966.
Noteworthy students of Riverton School include G. S. Thorvaldson.
Principals (Riverton School)
Principals (Riverton High School)
Among the other teachers who worked at Riverton School were Salin Petirsson (1889), Jon Runolfsson (1891), Gudrun Salina, Hildur Sigfusdottir, Bjorg Thorkelsson, Gisli J. Gislason, Jakobina Johannsson, Rosa Kristoffersson, Estelle Thompson, Jonasina Stefansson, Sveinfridur Gislason, Ingibjorg Bjornsdottir, Hildur J. Johnson, Valgerdur Jonasson, Berta Johnson, Kristin Lilja Kristjansson, Kristbjorg Oddson, Margaret Anderson, Hildur Arnason, Mrs. S. Spring (1921-1931, 1953-1964), Sigga Ejolfson, Kristin Freda Benedictson, Vilberg Ejolfson, Agnar Magnusson, and Kristin Skulason.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 January 2018