Historic Sites of Manitoba: Orangehill School No. 794 (Municipality of Pembina)
The Orangehill School District was established in February 1894 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE24-3-7W in what is now the Municipality of Pembina. The school was closed from 1926 into the 1930s. It reopened around 1935 then closed permanently in the late 1950s. The building was demolished in1957 and the district was dissolved in 1964. Its area became part of the Thornhill Consolidated School District. No vestige of the school remains at the site.
Among the teachers of Orangehill School were Bertha Stewart, Isabella Stewart, H. F. Haffner, Mr. Stock, Andrew Slater, Mildred Johnston, Jack Murdoch, Fred Balfour, Miss Spencer, Jean Robson, Ida Keyes, Roy Sypher, Beatrice Ainsley, Eva O’Neil, Ethel Pogson, Cleta Rumball, Winona Howell, Mabel McIntyre, Josephine Salter, Elva Wright, Winnie Sanderson, Edith Finnan, Ethel Currie, Ottie Davis, Gladys Richardson, Eva Stevens, Eva Davis, Ada Balfour, Eva Pearson, Annie Medland, Eva Coulter, Isabel McKennitt, Vera McNair, Myra McKellar, Grace McNabb, Isabel Balfour, Rita Fletcher, Hugh McPhail, Marjorie Fairlie, Rena Cornwall, Mary Carson, Beatrice Hawken, Joy Warner, Lorraine Flannagan, Marian Ferguson, Kathleen Calder, Beulah Weeks, Violet Mulvaney, and Le Beau Arthurs.
Morden West topographic map, 62G/1 West, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
As Years Go By: 1876-1971 by the Thornhill Book Committee, 1971. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.T57 Asy]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 July 2019
Back to top of page