Historic Sites of Manitoba: Turriff School No. 661 (RM of Elton)
The Turriff School District was organized formally in March 1891 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW29-11-18W in the Rural Municipality of Elton. In 1950, a new two-classroom building was constructed in the nearby village of Forrest. The original school building was sold and moved to the Erickson area. In 1959, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Elton Municipal School District and later the Rolling River School Division.
Among the other teachers of Turriff School were William McGregor (1891), Carrie S. Caryl (1894), Arthur Martin (1895), J. Boyd Morrison (1895-1898), John A. Morrison (1899-1902), H. A. McQuaig (1903), Agnes Mott (1904), Lizzie Stewart (1905), W. H. Villet (1906-1907), Olive Grant (1908-1910), Blanche Dickie (1910-1911), Lily Collinson (1913-1914), Annie Johnston (1914-1915), L. Crawford (1916-1917), Mary Ferguson (1924-1927), Beatrice Bowman (1927-1928), Christine MacKay (1928-1929), Dorothy Gardiner (1929-1930), Ella McLatchie (1930-1931), Nellie Cole (1931-1932), H. Bullard (1932-1933), M. Peturson (1933-1936), Genevieve Beattie (1936-1938), Betty Lowe (1938-1941), Jean Baker (1941-1943), Edna Burton (1943-1945), Dorothy Miller (1945-1949), Kathleen Vance (1949-1951), Ena Kendall, and Cecile Ferguson.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2015
Back to top of page