Designed in less than a month by Winnipeg architects Barber and Barber, and built between 1883 and 1886, the old City Hall was constructed amidst a storm of scandal and controversy. Considered beautiful by some, ugly by others, it was the focus of many civic events. The “Gingerbread City Hall” was razed in 1964 to make room for the present structure.
An Historic Winnipeg plaque is found near the northwest corner of the Council Building of Winnipeg City Hall on Princess Street behind the City Hall sign.
Old City Hall with the Volunteer Monument at right (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2005-0098.
Old City Hall Plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89970, W97.13955
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Commemorative Plaques of the Winnipeg City Hall (510 Main Street)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Titanic Plaque (City of Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion Plaque (William Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg General Strike Plaque (William Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: The Volunteer Monument (Main Street, Winnipeg)
Winnipeg’s City Halls 1876-1965 by A. F. J. Artibise
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 22, Number 3, Spring 1977
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 October 2012
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.