In 1897, a monument was given to Winnipeg by the Young Peoples’ Christian Endeavour Society to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee (60 years on the throne) that year. A bust of Queen Victoria and the “Boy With The Boot” formed a single fountain-statue that, in 1898, was unveiled in front of the old City Hall on Main Street, near the Volunteer Monument. It was moved to Assiniboine Park in Fall 1965 and unveiled at a re-dedication ceremony on 18 May 1967, officiated by Secretary of State Judy Lamarsh.
Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87500, W97.23526
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Queen Victoria Statue (450 Broadway, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boy With The Boot (Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg)
“No Metro cash for statue,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 January 1966, page 3.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 July 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!