Historic Sites of Manitoba: Norberry School (900 St. Mary’s Road, Winnipeg)
Designed by local architect James Lethbridge and constructed at a cost of $75,000, the original Norberry School opened for classes on 1 February 1922. It replaced several two-classroom school buildings in the Woodlawn School District No. 1499. Its eight classrooms were designed to accommodate more than 300 students. The High School Department of the school became Glenlawn Collegiate in 1930, which moved to its present site in January 1950.
Among the teachers who worked at Norbery School through the years was D. A. Downie.
Photos & Maps
“Tenders for Woodlawn School Building, S.D. 1499, St. Vital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 April 1921, page 2.
“St. Vital passes school bylaws,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 June 1921, page 16.
“New St. Vital school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 January 1922, page 17.
“New St. Vital school formally opened,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 February 1922, page 6.
“Teeming St. Vital population crowds schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 August 1922, page 5.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Robert Klassen and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 December 2016
Back to top of page