Manitoba Heritage Summit 2022

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: McIvor School No. 2323 (McIvor Avenue, Winnipeg)

McIvor School opened in 1921 within the East Kildonan School District No. 14, as a one-classroom wood frame structure at the southwest corner of De Vries Avenue and McIvor Avenue in East Kildonan. When the municipality split, thus esatablishing North Kildonan in 1925, so too did the school district, with this site then becoming part of the North Kildonan School District No. 2116 in November 1924. It joined the newly created McIvor School District No. 2323 in June 1950 prior to the school closure with the conclusion of the following fall school term. The building was then sold to a local farmer and relocated elsewhere. Its function was replaced by the newly-constructed New Rosewell School that combined students from McIvor School with those of Rosewell School.

The teachers who worked at McIvor School were William Baty (1921), Clarita Fortier (1922), Sylvia Evelyn (1922), William Lightbody (1923), Hugh Robert McCaw (1923-1925), Hubert Harry Hooper (1925-1926), Arthur Foster Brown (1926-1928), Donald Murray McLaughlin (1928-1929), Neil Murray McIvor (1929-1937), Verna Florence Oleschuk (1937-1938), Jennie Evelyn Copp (1938-1941), Elizabeth Mary Launder (1941-1942), Ilene Dorothy Meder (1942-1943), O. S. Yvonne Datzkiw (1943-1944), Clara Agnes Wass (1944-1945), Roseanna Stevena (1945-1946), Irene May Wilson (1946-1947), Stella Helene Dancho (1947-1948), Katherine Hamm (1948-1949), Iza Waiser (1949-1950), and Marybelle Jean McLaurin (1950).

McIvor School No. 2323

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.93775, W97.04000
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Transcona School (Springfield Road, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosewell School (McLeod Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

North Kildonan’s One-Room School Houses, Part One by Jim Smith, North Kildonan Real Estate.

Obituary [Ilene Dorothy Meder], Winnipeg Free Press, 21 April 2010, page C8.

Manitoba School Records Collection, McIvor School (East Kildonan School District No. 14) Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, McIvor School (North Kildonan School District No. 2116) Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, McIvor School (McIvor School District No. 2323) Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Jim Smith for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 23 May 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.