Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 88
Manitoba
History

No. 88

Pakistan Lecture 2019
Pakistan
Lunch &
Lecture

MHS Fundraising Dinner
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner

MHS Multicultural Dinner 2019
2019
Multicultural
Dinner

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: New Rosewell School No. 2323 (1455 Molson Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

Construction of this North Kildonan school began In October 1950 in the recently formed McIvor School District No. 2323. The school was located at the eastern side of Birds Hill Road (now Molson Street) at corner of McLeod Avenue, across from the former Rosewell School. It was formally opened on 22 January 1951 by North Kildonan mayor J. T. F. Aitken. Also present at the ceremonies were School District Chairman W. de Graff, Secretary-Treasurer E. Tomlinson, Chief School Inspector C. K. Rogers, Dept of Education official B. S. Bateman, Trustee W. Parasiuk, and architect Edgar Prain of the Winnipeg firm of Prain and Ward. Students came from students from both one-room Rosewell School and McIvor School. The frame and stucco structure hosted grades 1-8 and was built at a cost of $38,000. It featured an automatic fire alarm, oil burner, new furnishings and two classrooms along with a basement auditorium.

Built with future expansion in mind, the building was enlarged an additional two classrooms in 1955, based on designs by Prain and Ward. In October 1963, local voters approved a further two-room expansion at a cost of $30,000. The brick and masonry expansion at the south side of building was completed in 1964.

The school was closed at the conclusion of the 1979 Spring term and students of elementary grade level were transferred to Emerson Elementary School. The building is now partially metal-clad and in service as the Maintenance Office for the River East Transcona School Division.

Principals

Period

Principal

1950-1951

Jacob “Jake” Krueger (1925-2001)

1951-1952

Orest Stephen Roscoe (1932-2016)

1952-1957

Sarah Ann Thompson “Helen” Hunt (1908-2007)

1957-1959

Anton Ed Yaworski

1959-1962

Antoine Rene “Tony” Gagne

1962-1979

Anthony “Tony” Mikolayenko (?-2009)

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1950-1951

Jacob “Jake” Krueger (grades 1-8, 1950; grades 4-8, 1951), Marybelle Jean McLaurin (grades 1-3, 1951)

1951-1952

Marybelle Jean McLaurin (grades 1-3), Orest Stephen Roscoe (grades 4-9)

1952-1953

Sarah Ann Thompson “Helen” Hunt (grades 6-9), Sarah Klassen (grades 1-2), Edith Neufeld (grades 3-5)

1953-1954

Sarah Ann Thompson “Helen” Hunt (grades 6-10), Sarah Klassen (grades 1-2), Edith Neufeld (grades 3-5)

1954-1955

Sarah Ann Thompson “Helen” Hunt (grades 6-10), Sarah Klassen (grades 1-2), Nan C. Yurkiw (grades 3-5)

1955-1956

Sarah Ann Thompson “Helen” Hunt (grades 9-11), Sarah Klassen (grades 3-5), Eva Lorraine Robinson Taylor (grades 1-2), Anton Ed Yaworski (grades 6-8)

1956-1957

Sarah Ann Thompson “Helen” Hunt (grades 9-11), Gladys Rozecki (grades 5-6), Eva Lorraine Robinson Taylor (grades 1-2), Edith Eleanor Wiens (grades 3-4), Anton Ed Yaworski (grades 7-8)

1957-1958

Nickolas Andrusko (grades 7-8), Luise Regehr Krickham (grades 1-2), James M. Richtik (grades 5-6), Edith Eleanor Wiens (grades 3-4), Anton Ed Yaworski (grades 9-11)

1958-1959

Anna Margaret Huculak (grades 1-2), Sylvia Parasiuk (grades 7-8), Edith Eleanor Wiens (grades 3-4), Anton Ed Yaworski (grades 9-11), Alfred Zyolor “Alf” Zorniak (grades 5-6)

1959-1960

Ruth Ann Ferby (grades 5-6), Antoine Rene “Tony” Gagne (grades 7-8), Anna Margaret Huculak (grades 1-2), Florence Wicklow (grades 3-4)

1960-1961

Antoine Rene “Tony” Gagne (grades 7-8), Anna Margaret Huculak (grades 1-2), Sylvia Nell Melnyk (grades 5-6), Florence Wicklow (grades 3-4)

1961-1962

Antoine Rene “Tony” Gagne (grades 7-8), Anna Margaret Huculak (grades 1-2), Sylvia Nell Melnyk (grades 5-6), Florence Wicklow (grades 3-4)

1962-1963

Albert E. Aline (grades 6-7), Anna Margaret Huculak (grades 1-2), Sylvia Nell Melnyk (grades 4-5), Anthony “Tony” Mikolayenko (grades 7-8), Florence Wicklow (grades 3-4)

1963-1964

Albert E. Aline (grades 6-7), Donna Eleanor Fargey (grades 4-5), Anna Margaret Huculak (grades 1-2), Anthony “Tony” Mikolayenko (grades 7-8), Florence Wicklow (grades 3-4)

1964-1965

Donna Eleanor Fargey (grades 4-5), Patricia Gossen (grades 3-4, 1964), Walter Hanuschak (grades 6-7), Anna Margaret Huculak (grade 1), Anthony “Tony” Mikolayenko (grades 7-8), Anne K. Voth (grades 3-4, 1965), Florence Wicklow (grade 2)

1965-1966

Donna Eleanor Fargey (grades 4-5), Georgena Gaye Miko (grades 6-7), Anthony “Tony” Mikolayenko (grades 7-8), Penny Schwartz (grade 1), Florence Wicklow (grade 2), Verna Claire Workman (grades 3-4)

1966-1967

Donna Eleanor Fargey (grades 4-5), Edwin Ernest Hill (grades 6-7), Gloria Susan Kowal (grade 1), Georgena Gaye Miko (grades 1-2), Anthony “Tony” Mikolayenko (grades 7-8), Florence Wicklow (grade 2), Verna Claire Workman (grades 3-4)

1967-1979

?

Photos & Maps

New Rosewell School

New Rosewell School (no date)
Source: Fiftieth anniversary of the Mennonite settlement in North Kildonan, 1928-1978, compiled and edited by Karl Fast. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.N67 Fif]

New Rosewell School

The former New Rosewell School building (September 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer

New Rosewell School

The former New Rosewell School building (September 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.92352, W97.05183
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosewell School (McLeod Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Rosewell School officially opened in North Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 January 1951, page 3.

“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 March 1955, page 28.

“Recount set for N. Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 October 1963, page 6.

Surveys and Mapping Branch, Department of Mines and Technical Services, 62H/14h East Kildonan (1969).

“Review to determine fate of elementary schools,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast Edition 14 January 1992, page 5.

School division half-yearly attendance reports, Schedule E0757, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, GR8245, New Rosewell School Daily Registers, 1952-1967, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 31 October 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.