Built between 1883 and 1884 on a design by local architects Charles Arnold Barber and Earle William Barber, the Leland was one of Winnipeg’s most luxurious hotels, featuring 100 rooms, hot and cold running water, billiard room, barber shop, and reading rooms. Its brick facade concealed a wooden structure, one of the last such buildings from the city’s early days.
Four storeys added in 1892 were destroyed in a fire in 1913. After many years of neglect and use as a “flop house hotel,” the building sat empty and was purchased by the City of Winnipeg in 1995. Designated in May 1985 as a municipal historic site, the structure was de-listed in May 1998, and was subsequently destroyed by an arson fire in January 1999.
Through the years its proprietors included William D. Douglas (1884-1902), James C. Kavanagh (1902-1904), Eli Joel Rochon (1904-1921), George Edward Dangerfield (1921-1923), and Dangerfield Hotel Company (1923-1960s).
Sketch of the Leland Hotel (circa 1889)
Source: Souvenir of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Toronto News Company, 1889.
Leland Hotel (1990s)
Source: Winnipeg Building Index
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89904, W97.13981
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
“Prominent sportsman sells hotel property,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 June 1921, page 17.
“Historic hotel torched?,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 January 1999, page 1.
Winnipeg Building Index
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!