Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Free Kindergarten Building / Ellen Street Kindergarten / Logan Neighbourhood House / Logan House (294 Ellen Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This Winnipeg site was once occupied by the Free Kindergarten Building, a facility of the Kindergarten Settlement Association (KSA). Established locally on 6 April 1892, the KSA was one of the city’s early philanthropic institutions, working out of a seven-room house near the the corner of Ellen Street and Logan Avenue. A governing board was established and three of the rooms were rented out to help offset operating costs. A free kindergarten for area residents was launched on 26 November 1892 with an initial class of five pupils instructed by Miss Jean Flemming. By 30 April 1893, the number of students had grown to 47, spanning a range of European nationalities. Beyond the classes offered five days per week, the school building also served as a hub for social groups for mothers, community volunteer clubs, and classes for independent living skills. The present structure, designed by architect J. H. G. Russell and built in 1903 at a cost of $9,000, was opened formally at a ceremony on 30 December of the same year. Over the years, additions increased its capacity. A second KSA location, at 676 Alexander Avenue, was also opened. Teachers were often student-teachers in training.

The Winnipeg School Board established the Ellen Street Kindergarten during the 1920-1921 year, at the end of which 25 children were integrated from this facility into local schools. The Kindergarten continued until shortly after a School Board meeting in October 1931 at which the Board voted to withdraw its staff.

In 1952, the site became the Logan Neighbourhood House (LNH), serving an area bounded by the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks, Notre Dame Avenue, McPhillips Street, and Red River. Run as a collaborative effort of the KSA, Rotary Club, and Junior League, it was a centre for adults and children featuring recreational and leisure programming, activities, and kindergarten classes. Staffing was provided, in part, by the Volunteers Bureau and a part-time member of the Parks and Recreation Board. Following three years of successful operation, the deed for the site was transferred for the fee of $1 at a formal ceremony on 4 October 1955. Attending the ceremony were former LNH President A. McGregor Gibson, KSA President Mrs. D. Rowan, LNH President George Keates, and Bernie Wolfe, member of the Welfare Council of Greater Winnipeg.

Its name has since been shortened to Logan House, and the building was expanded on a design by Moody and Moore. It remains in service to the community.





Phyllis Lorraine Middleton (1895-1950)


Edith Deacon Jamieson (1900-?)


Gladys Muriel Best (1896-1988)


Among the teachers were Miss Jean Flemming (1892-?), Helen McLean (1920-1921), C. M. Borrill (1921-1922), Ruth Holden (1935-1936), Ruth Hogan (1941-1942), Jean Laidlaw (1948-1950), and Catherine Ashdown (1952-1953).

Photos & Coordinates

The former Free Kindergarten Building, now Logan House

The former Free Kindergarten Building, now Logan House (2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.90544, W97.14318
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historical Sketch of the Charitable Institutions of Winnipeg by Marion Bryce
MHS Transactions, Series 1, No. 54, February 1899


“Tenders [Free Kindergarten Building],” Manitoba Free Press, 14 April 1903, page 2.

“Kindergarten Building opened,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 December 1903, page 3.

“Student's work in kindergarten on exhibition,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 June 1916, page 6.

“Ellen Street Free Kindergarten head,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 December 1916, page 6.

“Mrs. Pitplado to preside at Free Kindergarten meeting,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 February 1918, page 18.

“Kindergarten Settlement to celebrate,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 February 1918, page 17 & 18.

“School Board may supervise kindergartens,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 January 1920, page 6.

“Asks School Board to manage kindergarten,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 May 1920, page 1.

“Schools too crowded for kindergartens,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 May 1920, page 17.

“Little mothers graduate at Kindergarten settlement,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 June 1921, page 9.

“Kindergarten holds flower festival,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 June 1921, page 6.

“Clubs,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 June 1921, page 6.

“Developing the young idea by the play route,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 April 1924, page 3.

[Photo caption], Winnipeg Tribune, 12 April 1924, page 41.

“Routine affairs only before school board,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 Nov 1926, page 9.

“Fight to keep kindergarten teacher lost,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 October 1931, page 6.

“Hague urges province insure city schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 November 1931, page 3.

“Year of good work reported for Kindergarten Settlement,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 October 1935, page 9.

“School Board,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 January 1936, page 7.

“Dufferin classes to be assigned to other schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 February 1936, page 1.

“Kindergarten Board names officers,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 January 1940, page 10.

“Kindergarten Settlement honors founders at tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 April 1940, page 8.

“Need of small houses stressed at Annual Meeting of Kindergarten Settlement,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 October 1941, page 11.

“Invitations have been issued [...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 October 1942, page 9.

“Kindergarten Settlement looks back on half century of good work among children,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1942, page 11.

“50th anniversary celebration by Kindergarten Association,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 October 1942, page 10.

“Kindergarten Settlement completes 54 years of service,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 October 1946, page 10.

“Volunteers sought for kindergarten,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 October 1949, page 17.

“Changes mark 57th year of Kindergarten Settlement,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 November 1949, page 12.

“Year to achievement shown by Kindergarten Settlement,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 November 1950, page 13.

“Neighborhood House to open Kindergarten,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 September 1952, page 18.

“Junior League ups grant to Logan House by $1,666,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 December 1954, page 16.

“Gift of recreation centre,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 October 1955, page 28.

“Settlement House has place in every district says Director Hamilton,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 June 1955, page 15.

“Logan House members emerging as leaders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 October 1960, page 14.

MMP Architects Drawings (PR1994-156), 55049. Logan Neighbourhood House, addition - Winnipeg, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 13 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.