Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dublin Bay School No. 2010 (RM of Dauphin)
The Dublin Bay School District for organized formally in August 1920 and, by the following year, a one-room schoolhouse operated at the southeast corner of SE29-27-18W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. Low student enrollment forced the school to close permanently in June 1952. Students from the area were then transported to Fairville School. The former school building was moved in 1953 to the Ferley School District and, ten years later, was converted into a community hall. The district was dissolved in 1965 and its area became part of the Dauphin Ochre School Division. A commemorative monument, featuring a model of the former schoolhouse, was unveiled at the original site on 25 July 1981.
The teachers of Dublin Bay School were Stuart Farr (1921-1922), E. H. Milward (1922), L. J. Kennedy (1922), Earl C. Cook (1922-1923), William J. Avison (1923), Norman McDonald (1924-1925), Jeannette M. Eagle (1925), Walter G. Crane (1926-1927), Alma E. Short (1928-1929), Belinda Frost (1929-1930), C. G. Honsinger (1930), Abia D. Morgan (1930-1931), Geoffrey Greatorex (1931-1933), Maurice Karalnick (1933-1934), Mary R. Urbanovitch (1934-1939), Eugenia Negrich (1939-1940), Mary R. Prokopowich (1940-1942), Margaret Leskiw (1942-1943), Marie E. Gregorash (1943-1944, 1945-1947), Adeline Kozak (1944-1945), Marie E. Kaleta (1947), Elizabeth C. Kay (1948), Edna G. Caryk (1948-1949, 1950-1951), Dorothy Hafenbrak (1949), Walter Nakoneshny (1951), Steve Stasuik (1951-1952), and Melvin Solar (?-?).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Reunion marks 60 years,” Dauphin Herald, 29 July 1981, page A4.
Records for the Dublin Bay School reunion in 1981 are held at Fort Dauphin Museum.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2019
Back to top of page