Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ferley School No. 1812 (Ukraina, RM of Mossey River)
The Ferley School District was established in December 1915, probably named for recently elected provincial politican Taras Ferley, and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the village of Ukraina (SE6-29-20W) in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Dauphin Ochre School Division.
Among the teachers of Ferley School were Mrs. Valeria Zale (1954-1955), Nestor Wasyluk (1955-1957), and Peter Rudy (1957-1961).
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
Sifton West topographic map, 62N/8 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 February 2021