Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crandall Pioneers Monument / Crandall School No. 460 (Crandall, Municipality of Prairie View)
A monument in the village of Crandall in the Municipality of Prairie View, dedicated on 1 August 1982, is situated on the former site of Crandall Consolidated School No. 460. The bell from the school is incorporated into the monument. Known originally as Crandall School No. 1196 when it was established here in August 1902, it was renamed in May 1918 when it was consolidated with three nearby rural schools: Chumah School No. 401, Carlingville School No. 460, and Hazelbank School No. 1906.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Council reports,” Birtle Eyewitness, 3 October 1961, page 10.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 May 2017
Back to top of page