Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winged Victory Monument (2109 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Located on the front grounds of Deer Lodge Hospital at 2109 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, this monument was created by Montreal sculptor Coeur de Lion McCarthy and dedicated to employees of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). Originally unveiled on 28 April 1922 in front of the CPR Station on Higgins Avenue (along with similar monuments in Montreal and Vancouver), it was moved in 1989 to the CPR office building on Martha Street. The Intrepid Society donated a new base and moved the monument to its present location in June 2003.
Nearby is a plaque commemorating James McKay.
Winged Victory Monument (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.87750, W97.23518
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: James McKay Plaque (2109 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
To Honor and Remember: Remembrances of the Great War, The Next-of-Kin Monument in Winnipeg by Marilyn Baker
Manitoba History, Number 2, 1981
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Pacific Railway Station (181 Higgins Avenue, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 June 2014
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.