Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bowsman Union School No. 1273 / Bowsman Collegiate (Bowsman, Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The Bowsman Union School District was established formally in March 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at Bowsman in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. Betwen 1925 and 1926, the original building was replaced by a two-storey brick structure constructed by the Winnipeg construction firm of Macaw & MacDonald. The building is no longer present at the site but a stone monument containing its cornerstone and bell commemorates it.
Among the early teachers of Bowsman Union School were Anna Shathdee? (Spring 1908 - Spring 1909), John Wesley Harris (Fall 1909 - Spring 1911), Edgar L. Bric? (Fall 1911 - Spring 1912), and Margaret B. McLeod (Fall 1912).
Photos & Coordinates
“Constructional Activity,” Contract Record and Engineering Review, 24 March 1926, page 54.
“3800 pupils enrolled for 1963-1964 term,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 29 August 1963, page 1.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer and David Falconer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 May 2022