Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boulton Garage and Auto Sales Building (336 William Avenue, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on William Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect John Nelson Semmens and built in 1927 by the firm of Borrowman and Jamieson for Albert Stephen Boulton of Boulton Motors Limited. The 6,600 square foot building, measuring 66 feet by 100 feet, was built at a cost of about $50,000 and had showroom space for commercial trucks such as the Diamond T, Marmon-Herrington, and Stutz-Pak-Age-Car at the front. The rear of the building was for auto repair.
At the time of a 2022 site visit, the former dealership building was occupied by a brewery.
“Modern service garage and motor trucks showrooms,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 April 1927, page 24.
“Announcement,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 June 1927, page 36.
“New auto showrooms on William Avenue completed,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 July 1927, page 29.
“Modern service garage and motor trucks showrooms,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 October 1928, page 36.
“Diamond T trucks seen at motor show,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 March 1934, page 34.
“Boulton Motors Limited,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 November 1937, page 8.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 January 2023