Historic Sites of Manitoba: All Saints Anglican Church (521 Broadway, Winnipeg)
This Anglican church at the northwest corner of the intersection of Broadway and Osborne Street in Winnipeg replaced a predecessor church by the same name, which had been constructed slightly to the east in 1883. When city plans called for the northward extension of Osborne through the existing church, the building was demolished and construction of the replacement commenced in mid-1926, on a design by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. A cornerstone was laid at a ceremony on 25 September 1926 and dedication of the new building occurred on 23 December 1926.
An attached Parish Hall at the west end of the church, designed by architects Frank Norlande Ruttan and George Stewart, was constructed in 1964 by the Surety Construction Company. It was torn down in 2018 to make way for the West Broadway Commons, a free-standing, 12-storey, 110-unit housing project with 56 affordable units. The structure was built as a joint venture between the church and the University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0.
The church became a municipally-designated historic building in 2017.
Photos & Coordinates
“Canon Askey, wife die in road crash,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 June 1949, page 1.
521 Broadway, All Saints Anglican Church, Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, July 2017.
We thank Christy Cherwinski, John Webb, and Sandi Mielitz for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2021