Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Francois Xavier East School / Todd School No. 1023 (RM of Cartier)
The St. Francois Xavier East School District was formally established by the Roman Catholic School Board at some point between 1870 and December 1875. Its mid-range district number was representative the later integration of the French schools into a single Department of Education district numbering system, with its District No. 1023 designation acquired in 1899. The St. Francois Xavier East School operated along the Lido Plage Road in the Rural Municipality of Cartier. The district renamed as Todd School District in the latter half of 1918. The school closed in 1961 and its remaining students went to St. Francois Xavier Consolidated School No. 2387.
Among the teachers of St. Francois Xavier East School / Todd School were Rosalie Genthon (1891), Philomene Lavallee (Spring 1898 - Spring 1905, Spring 1908, & Fall 1916), Laura Genereux? (pt Fall 1905) J. D. Thibault (pt Fall 1905 - Spring 1906), Rose A. Perras (Fall 1906 - Spring 1907 & Spring-Fall 1910), Cecile Paille (Fall 1908 - Spring 1909), Frank McDougall (Fall 1908), Vingiure? Paradis (Spring 1911), Rosa Richard (Fall 1911), Elinore [Eleanor] Zastre (Spring 1912 & Spring 1916), Josephine Lavallee (Fall 1912 - Spring 1914), Ethel Keough (Fall 1914 - Spring 1915), M. A. Lamarre (Spring 1915), Clara Paradis (Spring 1916), Agnes Lavallee (Fall 1917 - Spring 1918 & Spring 1919 - Fall 1922), Florette Morin (Fall 1918), Anne Marie Gosselin (1922-1925), Blanche Daneault (1925-1932), Juliette Lachance (1932-1935), Salomie Irene Carriere (1935-1937), Alice Marie Nault (1937-1942), Yvonne T. Millier (1942-1944), Gervaise Catellier (1944-1946), Irene M. Catellier (1946-1949), Gervaise Catellier (1949-1952), Leonie Rey [Roy?] (1952-1953), Lucienne Heloise Tougas (1953-1954), and Irene M. Dauphinais (1954-1961).
Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
Elie East topographic map, 62H/13 East, Edition 2, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Todd School District #1023 - Daily Registers, GR0645, Archives of Manitoba.
Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]
Our First Hundred Years: A History of St. Francois-Xavier Municipality. St. Francois-Xavier Municipality Historical Committee, 1980. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S234.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 August 2022