Historic Sites of Manitoba: Solsgirth Consolidated School No. 462 (Solsgirth, Municipality of Prairie View)
The Solsgirth School District was established formally in July 1885 and a school building was erected in Solsgirth, in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View. It became Solsgirth Consolidated School when it was consolidated with Hope School No. 1579 in November 1911. Other rural schools joined it as they closed in the late 1950s: Dowsford School No. 190 and Ekford School No. 1135. The school became part of the Birdtail River School Division in 1968, later closing. The present building is now used for storage.
Among the other teachers of Solsgirth School were Ellen Elizabeth Wherrett and Helen Margaret Murchie Dickie.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Helen Margaret Dickie], Shoal Lake Star, 18 May 1993, page 11.
We thank Malcolm Bell and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 September 2019