Historic Sites of Manitoba: Notre Dame de Lourdes School No. 690 (Notre Dame de Lourdes, Municipality of Lorne)
The Notre Dame de Lourdes School District was established in May 1892 and a school building was constructed in Notre Dame de Lourdes, which at the time was situated in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. In 1960, it became Notre Dame de Lourdes Consolidated School with the consolidation of rural schools from the surrounding countryside: Montcalm School No. 984, Jeanne d’Arc School No. 1673, St. Louis School No. 964, Cardinal School No. 2239, St. Adelard School No. 912, and Carnot School No. 854. Later, the district became part of the Mountain School Division No. 28.
The two-storey school building used in the early 20th century has been replaced at the site by the present structure. A bell, brought to the community in August 1894 for the bell tower of the nearby church and monastery, rang daily at 6 AM, noon, and 6 PM. Since 1935, it was used at the school to call students to classes.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 March 2021