This monument in the Municipality of Norfolk Treherne commemorates Carnot School, which was established in a building in the southeast quarter of 15-7-8 west of the Principal Meridian, in August 1895. It closed in January 1960 and remaining students went to Notre Dame du Lourdes Consolidated School No. 2390.
Records for Carnot School are held at the St. Claude and Area Archives.
Carnot School commemorative sign (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Carnot School commemorative sign (August 2022)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.56202, W98.59637
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!