This three-storey building was designed by local architect James Chisholm and built in 1882, adjacent to the Bawlf and Benson blocks, for the Harris Implement Company. In 1891, the firm merged with the Massey Manufacturing Company to form the Massey-Harris Company and moved to larger premises nearby. The building was subsequently leased to the Cockshutt Plow Company until 1903 then served as a wholesale boot and shoe warehouse until 1927. After being vacant for several years during the Great Depression, two companies the building for offices until a fire in 1945. The building was purchased in 1951 by Hochman’s Limited, a wholesale footwear merchant.
The building was demolished in 2003 to make way for the downtown campus of the Red River College although its exterior façade was retained. In 2004, the building was recognized with a Heritage Winnipeg Preservation Award. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
Facade of the Hochman Building / Harris Block (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90011, W97.14104
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Drake Hotel / Benson Block (146 Princess Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grain Exchange Building (156-160 Princess Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Some Old Winnipeg Buildings by Randy Rostecki
MHS Transactions, Series 3, Number 29, 1972-1973 Season
Harris Block / Hochman Building (154 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, June 1979.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 January 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!