The Asham Point School District was organized formally in March 1914 and school classes were held in a locally rented structure starting the following month. Around July 1917, tenders were called for a construction of school building. A log schoolhouse was erected at SE12-26-12W (Rural Municipality of Alonsa), with classes beginning that October. The school operated through the spring of 1949, at which point the school was closed for lack of enrollment, with those few remaining to attend a nearby school district or undertake correspondence education. The school property was purchased by Chairman Vladimar R. Johnson around 1950, with the district paying for local transport to bring students to and from the nearby Larkspur School. The school district operated as a closed school after 1950, and later joined the Turtle River School Division before being dissolved in August 1966.
The teachers of Asham Point School were Hilda Johnson (1914-1917), Ljotunn Thorsteinsson (1917-1918), Helga G. Erlendson (1918-1919, 1920-1921), George Meadham (1920), Mrs. H. S. Middleton (1921-1922), Fred R. Jarvis (1922-1923), Miss Paulin Johnson (1923-1924), Mr. J. Gislason (1924-1925), Miss Ruby Steele (1925-1926), Miss Ilsa Ayre (1926), Robert William Lightly (1926-1927), Petter Martin Juul (1927-1928), Miss W. T. Cunningham (1928-1930), Miss Macky [Mackey] (1930-1931), Miss M. G. Cunningham (1931-1932), Miss Lillian E. Goodman (1932-1934), Miss S. L. Johannson (1934-1935), Miss Signe? H. Gundmundson (1935-1936), Sigrun H. Johnsson (1936-1937, 1938-1939), Rena M. McDermott (1937-1938), Julia E. Hasiuk (1941-1942), Mary L. Daniel (1942-1943), Kristinn “Kris” Gislason (1944-1945), Helen Klassen (1945), Ethel Lillian Mailman (1945-1946, 1947-1948), Phyllis Lillian MacAulay (1946-1947), Sigrun Johnson (1948-1949), and Olina M. Johnson Woodhouse (?-?).
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.22892, W99.01925
denoted by symbol on the map above
School Formation File, Asham Point School District No. 1733, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files, Asham Point School District No. 1733 - Cash Book and Attendance Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
Obituary [Olina M. Woodhouse (c1927-1986)], Winnipeg Free Press, 3 January 1986, page 27.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 27 April 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!