The Larkspur School District was organized formally in December 1916, and a one-room schoolhouse operated near the southwest corner of NW12-25-12W in what was later the Rural Municipality of Alonsa. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Turtle River School Division.
Among the teachers of Larkspur School was William Harold Copeland (1932-1933).
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.14996, W99.03158
denoted by symbol on the map above
School District Formation Files [Larkspur School District No. 1850], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 November 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!