Memorable Manitobans: William Redford Mulock (1850-1930)
Born at Carleton Place, Ontario on 11 January 1850, son of Reverend Canon Mulock of St. George’s Cathedral (Kingston, Ontario) and Martha Catherine Mulock. He was educated at Queen’s College at Kingston, Ontario and the University of Toronto. He was called to Ontario Bar and began a law practice at Toronto in 1872. He came to Winnipeg in 1882 and continued his legal work with the firm of Bain, Blanchard and Mulock. He later practiced with J. T. Roberts and Edwin Loftus. He was made a Queen’s Counsel in 1890.
In 1883, he married Lillian Lucia Cummins, Magog, Quebec. They had three children: Mary Lillian Mulock (1884-?, wife of John W. E. Armstrong), Redford Henry Mulock (1885-?), and William Galton Mulock (1887-?). He served as Secretary-Treasurer of the Dynevor Indian Hospital (c1897), President of the Law Society of Manitoba (1920-1922), and President of the Manitoba Auxiliary of the Canadian Bible Society. He founded the first Penny Savings Bank in Toronto and later promoted the movement in Winnipeg. He was a member of the Manitoba Club, St. Charles Country Club, AF & AM, and Anglican Church. His recreations included sailing and curling. Described as an “ardent prohibitionist,” he was a Prohibition candidate for the Emerson constituency in the 1903 provincial general election but came in a distant third place. From 1905 to 1930, he lived at 557 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg.
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Who's Who and Why, Volumes 6 and 7, 1915-1916, page 486.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
The Law Society of Manitoba, 1877-1977, edited by Cameron Harvey, Peguis Publishers Limited, 1977, pages 235-236.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 October 2021