Memorable Manitobans: Alfred Edward Hill (1859-1953)
Merchant, municipal official.
Born at Toronto, Ontario in 1859, he came to Manitoba in 1881 and opened a general store at Lockport and was a partner with his father in another store on Main Street in Winnipeg where the McLaren Hotel now stands. Until 1886 he bought stores at Portage la Prairie, Brandon, and Carberry, put them on a firm financial footing, then sold them at a profit.
In 1890, he moved to Griswold where he formed A. E. Hill Company Limited, later buying a store at Hartney that was operated by his brother William Henry Beck Hill, and also operating branches at Carman, Underhill, and Tyvan (Saskatchewan). He sold the Griswold operation in 1911 and moved to Hartney where he assisted in the operation of the store there until his death. In 1919, he was appointed Chair of the Commission on Status and Salaries of Teachers.
Active in municipal, provincial, and federal politics, he served as Reeve of the RM of Sifton (1909-1912), ran unsuccessfully against James Albert Manning Aikins in the 1911 federal general election, and was President of the Manitoba Liberal Association. He served on the Advisory Board for the Manitoba Department of Education.
“Once headed Man. Liberals, A. E. Hill dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 February 1953, page 29.
The Mere Living: A Biography of the Hartney District by Hazel McDonald Parkinson, 1957. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Par]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 September 2022