Memorable Manitobans: Frank Robert Evans (1896-1952)
Born at Regina, Saskatchewan on 13 September 1896, son of Frank Robert Evans and Margaret Hamilton, he came to Winnipeg with his family at an early age. He attended St. John’s College before joining the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War, serving overseas where he was wounded. Returning to Canada, he graduated from the Manitoba Law School then joined the law firm of Suffield, Gorsey and Evans where he practiced until 1931. He then joined the firm of McArthur and Evans, with partners C. V. McArthur, R. Brock McArthur, and Gordon Chown. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1942.
He served as a Bencher and President (1950-1952) of the Law Society of Manitoba, served several terms as a member of the council for the Manitoba Bar Association, was President of the Blackstone Club, and was a member of the Government Liquor Control Licensing Board. He was a member of the Manitoba Club, and Winnipeg Winter Club, and served as Aide de Camp to W. J. Tupper during his term as Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba.
He died at Winnipeg on 24 October 1952 and was buried in Brookside Cemetery.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Attestation Papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
“New Year’s honors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1942, page 4.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 1952.
“Frank Evans, barrister, dies suddenly,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 1952, page 7.
“Frank Evans funeral rites on Tuesday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1952.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 September 2014