Memorable Manitobans: Frederick William Dudley (1878-1950)
Born at St. Catharines, Ontario on 13 June 1878, son of Thomas E. Dudley and Margaret Newcomb, he was educated at St. Catharines and Toronto, attending the optical college in Toronto from which he graduated in 1898. He also took a watchmaking course in Toronto. He gained a reputation as a runner and lacrosse player that led to him going to Brandon, Manitoba to work for a jeweller there and to play lacrosse for a Brandon team. After a short stay in Brandon, he moved to Winnipeg and set up a jewellery and optical business in 1902. The business remained at the same location (542 Main Street) for 41 years, from 1909 to the time of his death. He served as President of the Winnipeg Jewellers Association and President of the Manitoba Association of Optometrists, the latter in 1916 and 1917.
On 18 September 1906 he married Kathleen Margaret Cain. They had no children. In 1950, they resided at 595 Gertrude Avenue in Winnipeg. For many years he was a member of the council of the Dickens Fellowship (Winnipeg Branch), AF & AM (Ionic Lodge), IOOF, Woodmen of the World, Concordia Club, and Motor Country Club. He was a member of All Saints Anglican Church for over thirty years.
He died at Winnipeg on 9 June 1950 and was buried in the St. John’s Cemetery.
Birth registration, Ancestry.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“F. W. Dudley, 72, city jeweler, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 June 1950. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B10, page 146]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 June 2019