Memorable Manitobans: Heber Archibald (1846-1941)
Born at Dickinson’s Landing near Cornwall, Ontario on 4 September 1846, one of twelve children born to Dr. John Archibald, he was educated at Bishop’s College (Lennoxville, Quebec) and the University of Toronto. He studied law at Barrie, Ontario and his call to the Ontario Bar he practiced at St. Thomas and Hamilton.
He came to Winnipeg in November 1877 and opened a law office. Soon after he went into partnership with Hector Mansfield Howell. Other lawyers associated with the firm were D. M. Walker and Henry Vivian. In the early 1880s they took on J. S. Hough and Isaac Campbell as partners and, in 1887, T. D. Cumberland. In 1897, he became senior partner in the new firm of Archibald, Machray and Sharpe. He retired from the firm in 1906 and, for the remainder of his life, spent his days in leisurely activities.
Archibald served as a Bencher of the Law Society of Manitoba from 1881 to 1886, and was its President from 1886 to 1888. In 1885 he served a single term on the Winnipeg City Council. He was a founding member of the St. Charles Country Club, in 1905, and President (1896-1897) of the Winnipeg Lawn Tennis Club. His home at 176 Roslyn Road was designed in 1909 by architect J. H. G. Russell.
He died unmarried at Winnipeg on 31 August 1941 and was buried in St. John’s Cemetery.
“Heber Archibald, K.C., oldest solicitor of Manitoba, dies at 94,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 September 1941. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B9]
“H. Archibald, prominent citizen, dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 September 1941.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 July 2016