Memorable Manitobans: Fletcher S. Andrews (1869-1949)
Born at Brantford, Ontario on 7 February 1869, cousin of William Thomas Andrews and uncle of Gerald Smedley Andrews, he came to Winnipeg in 1881 and was educated at Winnipeg Public Schools and Winnipeg Collegiate Institute. He articled in law with his brother Alfred Joseph Andrews in 1890 and was admitted to the Manitoba Bar in 1896. He practised law in British Columbia for three years then returned to Winnipeg in 1899 and joined the firm of Andrews & Andrews. He was made a King’s Counsel in November 1925.
On 11 April 1898, he married Annie Mennie (?-?). He served as President of the Advisory Board of the Children’s Hospital. He was a member of the Manitoba Club, St. Charles Country Club (President for three years), Pine Ridge Golf Club, Motor Country Club, IOOF, Anglican church, and Conservative party. In early days took keen interest in cycling and football. In 1925, he lived at 642 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg.
He died at his Winnipeg apartment, 5 Hugo Apartments, on 1 February 1949 and was buried in the St. John's Cathedral Cemetery.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“A. T. Andrews, former druggist in Winnpeg, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 November 1936, page 10.
“F. Andrews, 79, barrister, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 February 1949, page 15.
“Free Press Necrology Files,” Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 16, University of Manitoba Archives]
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 March 2023