MHS Centennial Organization: Manitoba Association of School Trustees / Manitoba School Boards Association
The Manitoba School Trustees Association was established as a result of an organizational meeting held at Brandon on 3-5 April 1907. Initially, it was known as the Department of School Administration of the Manitoba Educational Association and changed its name the following year to the School Trustee’s Department.
It was incorporated as the Manitoba School Trustees Association in 1943. It divided into separate urban and rural associations in late 1952 (called the Manitoba Urban Trustees Association and Manitoba School Trustees Association, respectively) but the two entities re-merged in 1965, becoming the Manitoba Association of School Trustees. It was renamed the Manitoba School Boards Association in 1990.
Presidents (Manitoba Urban Trustees Association)
Secretaries / Executive Directors
“Government aid for rural schools is urged by Beck,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 January 1941, page 13.
“School Board notes,” Selkirk Enterprise, 23 October 1952, page 1.
“Minister predicts school aid increase,” Brandon Sun, 24 November 1959, page 3.
“Trustee groups here vote to amalgamate, to set up new body,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 June 1965, page 118.
History of the Manitoba School Boards Association.
We thank Karen Harrington and Joshua Watt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 March 2023