Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Second Crossing / Woodside School No. 18 (RM of Westbourne)

In 1872, the first European settlers to this region of Manitoba arrived at a site where a Red River Cart trail crossed the Whitemud River, establishing a community that they named Second Crossing, in what became known as the Rural Municipality of Westbourne. Two years later, it was renamed Woodside due to the abundance of wood nearby. At one time, Woodside had daily train service, a railway station and loading platform, stock yards, section house, two stores, school, and post office. By 1992, when a monument was erected at thte site, only the post office remained and it closed the next year.

The Woodside School District was established here in December 1872. The district was dissolved in 1967 when its area became part of the Gladstone Consolidated School District. The school building is no longer present at the site.

Among the teachers of Woodside School was Evelyn D. Cox.

Woodside School

Woodside School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 7.

Second Crossing / Woodside

Second Crossing / Woodside monument (August 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.18067, W98.76767
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 17 June 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.