Historic Sites of Manitoba: Teulon and District Museum (Green Acres Park, Teulon)
Among the contents of the museum are the buildings for Armistice School No. 2043 and Hartley School No. 878, a Ukrainian log house, a shoe repair shop, a machine shed containing agricultural implements, St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church, and a railway caboose.
A feature of the museum is the 1905 home of local physician Alexander J. Hunter who, during the course of nearly 40 years residence in Teulon beginning in 1903, left an indelible mark on the community. While performing missionary and medical duties for local Ukrainians, he established a lodging for nurses, built the first hospital, and established the Teulon Boys’ Home (1911) and the Teulon Girls’ Home (1918). The Hunter House was moved to its present site in March 1985.
St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church was built in 1922 at a location along Highway 7, between Third and Fifth avenues, in Teulon. It was moved to the museum in 1987.
Also on the museum site is a monument commemorating the pioneers of the Teulon district. The first homesteaders arrived from Ontario in 1874 and started a settlement at Foxton, two miles southeast of the present Town of Teulon, which originated in 1898 with the arrival of the first train.
Photos & Coordinates
Dr. Hunter House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Teulon and District Museum [accessed 7 July 2019]
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 July 2019
Back to top of page