Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Anglican Church and Cemetery (Poplar Park, RM of St. Clements)
In 1905, one acre of land at this site in the Municipality of St. Clements was donated by the Mattson family for a church and cemetery. Construction of St. James Anglican Church was completed by 1910. Its hewed log walls are now covered by vinyl siding but interior walls feature the original pressed-metal panels. The cemetery was expanded by two more acres in 1998. A service is held in the church each year in June. A monument commemorating local people killed during military service stands in front of the church.
First World War Casualties
Second World War Casualties
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
Page revised: 21 July 2020