Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. George School (151 St. George Road, Winnipeg)
Built between 1954 and 1955 to relieve overcrowding at Norberry School and Fernwood School in the St. Vital School Division, this Winnipeg school was completed around March 1955 but did not open its doors for students until 25 May 1955 on account of muddy roads that prevented the delivery of furniture. Within two years, the 14-classroom school was expanded with four more classrooms and a four-classroom-sized assembly room as part of a $240,000 expansion. In 1961, another six classrooms were added based on the work of local architect John Alexander Chivers, with renovations in 1966 on designs of Etienne J. Gaboury.
Photos & Coordinates
“School opens after muddy delay,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 May 1955, page 3.
“Tender Notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 October 1955, page 50.
“St. Vital,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1955, page 4.
“Tenders for school building St. Vital School Division No. 6,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 February 1961, page 36.
“Notice of tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 July 1966, page 16.
“Fellowship advisers named,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1969, page 4.
“Boyes named superintendent,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 June 1972, page 19.
“St. George School turns 50 with week of activities,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 May 2005, page B6.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Beau Hajavitch for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 6 October 2019