Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Northern Railway Station / la Vieille Gare Restaurant (630 Des Meurons Street, Winnipeg)
This Canadian Northern Railway railway St. Boniface Station building on Des Meurons Street in Winnipeg was first planned in the summer of 1913 as a $35,000 facility, though by the time construction began around early November, plans had been trimmed-down to about $15,000. The terminal was completed early the following year by Benoit & Company, and opened 27 March 1914. It operated in the early 1950s and was later converted into a restaurant in 1970.
“C. N. R. St. Boniface Station,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 July 1913, page 6.
“C. N. R. St. Boniface Station,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 November 1913, page 6.
“The city today [New Station],” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 March 1914, page 6.
“City and General [New Station at St. Boniface],” Manitoba Free Press, 28 March 1914, page 37.
Canadian Northern Railway Station, 630 Rue Des Meurons by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
Page revised: 2 March 2020
Back to top of page