Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosery School No. 1907 (RM of Armstrong)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The Rosery School District in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong was organized formally in September 1917 using land that had formerly been part of the Morning Star School District No. 1531 as well as some non-districted land. In 1918, a $2,000 wooden-frame schoolhouse was built, based on architectural drawings by Eldred D. Tuttle, at 17-20-2 West. In December 1918, a further $700 was borrowed to dig a well, erect a stable, complete furnishing the schoolhouse, and expand the structure to 20 feet by 32 feet.

District enrollment would peak around 15 pupils, though it dropped off quickly. The school closed in the early 1920s, after which the roughly half-dozen pupils went to schools in adjacent districts. By the spring of 1926, classes for the majority of remaining pupils were held in the Booth School District. In November 1926, the district took out a $2,000 loan and relocated the Rosery School building from NE-4-20-2W to SW-14-19-2W where it became New Booth School. In May 1936, the Rosery School District was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Armstrong Municipal School District No. 1842.

Among the teachers of Rosery School were Robert McKee Frayne (Fall 1919), Mary I. Souter (Spring 1920 - Fall 1921), and Ellen G. Roman (Spring 1922).

Rosery School

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.69679, W97.68216
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old Booth School No. 1444 (RM of Armstrong)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Rosery School District No. 1907 - Daily Register, GR11220 , Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #25 School District of Rosery, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #48 School District of Rosery, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #52 School District of Rosery, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Rosery School District No. 1907, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

Orders-In-Council (EC 0003A), Order-in-Council No. 30611, GR1530, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 8 November 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.