Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: River Ranch School No. 1361 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)

The River Ranch School District was organized formally in March 1906 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW25-3-5-E in the Rural Municipality of Franklin. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Boundary School Division.

Among the teachers of River Ranch School were Florence McBain (1909), C. E. Younghusband (1909), Peter Humeniuk (1915-1916), Harry Weinberg (1920-1921), W. J. Masciuck (1921-1922), J. W. Meloski (1922-1923), William Tanchak (1923 and night school), John P. Tanchak (1924-1925 and night school; 1928-1931), Theodore “Theo” Evonchuk (1925-1926 and night school), Nicholas Andrusko (1926), Vladimir E. Perich (1927), Michael Doroschuk (1927-1928), Mary Nazeravitch (1932-1933), Effie Koroluk (1933-1934), Kenneth Oatway “Ken” MacKenzie (1934-1935), Helen Mary Tanchak (1935-1937), Elmer Atkinson Preston (1938-1939), Manuel Peter Tanchak (1939-1941), Mary P. Paley (1941-1942), Olga Salamandyk (1942-1943, 1947-1949), Margaret Guenther (1943-1944), Agnes Margaret Braun (1944-1945), William Kowalchuk (1945-1946), Meroslaw Lakusta (1946-1947), Nicholas Kowal (1949), Kathleen Manchulenko (1949-1950), Peter Chyzyk (1950-1951), Helen Maksimichuk (1951-1952), Maurice Kohut (1952-1953), Stella Mandziuck Kohut (1953-1954, 1958-1959), Andre Forest (1955), William Stepaniuk (1955-1957), Elsie Buck (1957-1958), Doris Paley (1959-1960), Allan Robert Andruschak (1960-1961), George Joseph MacDonald (1961-1962), Eleanor Karalash (1961), Wasyl Sokolyk (1962-1963), Diane Shirley Bodnarchuk (1963-1964), Clara Anne Lambert (1964-1965), Ronald Mihaychuk (1965-1966), and Mary Anne Chubey (1966-1967).

River Ranch School

River Ranch School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 104.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.23739, W96.80202
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [River Ranch School District No. 1361], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, River Ranch School District No. 1361 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 28 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.