Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prairie Cities Oil Building (1380 Notre Dame Avenue, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick building at the southeast corner of Notre Dame Avenue and Valour Road in Winnipeg was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers and built in 1929 at a cost of about $25,000 by the construction firm of Carter-Halls-Aldinger for the Prairie Cities Oil Company. It was used by the firm as its main offices for a network of automotive service stations around the city. The company was taken over by the North Star Oil Company in early 1938.
At some point, a small one-storey addition was added to the front of the building.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 3815/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Contract awarded for new apartment block,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 August 1929, page 7.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Prairie Cities Oil to surrender charter,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 February 1938, page 14.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 November 2022