Historic Sites of Manitoba: North End Sewage Disposal Plant / North End Water Pollution Control Centre (2230 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Winnipeg's first sewage disposal plant was built between 1935 and 1937 by Fraser and Macdonald and Carter-Halls-Aldinger for the Greater Winnipeg Sanitary District at a cost of about $3,325,000. It was opened officially at a ceremony on 25 October 1937 attended by over 200 federal, provincial, and municipal officials, including Prime Minister R. B. Bennett, Minister of Mines and Resources Thomas Alexander Crerar, and Winnipeg Mayor Frederick Edgar Warriner.
Aerial view of North End Water Pollution Control Centre (June 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.95132, W97.10836
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Carter-Halls-Aldinger / Commonwealth Construction Company
Manitoba Business: Fraser and MacDonald
Manitoba Organization: Greater Winnipeg Sanitary District
“Sewage disposal plant opens today,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 October 1937, page 8.
“New sewage disposal system is officially opened Monday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1937, page 4.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 January 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.