Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fork River School / Mossey River Schools Monument (Fork River, RM of Mossey River)
A commemorative monument in Fork River, in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River, was erected on 20 July 1996 to the memory of the former schools of the municipality: the pioneers, teachers, students, and trustees. It also has a plaque added in the centennial year of the municipality, 2006.
The schools were: Belle Creek School No. 1827, Bicton Heath School No. 1357, Borden School No. 1266, Cork Cliff School No. 1509, Don School No. 1813, Ferley School No. 1812, Mossey River School No. 999 (Fork River Consolidated School No. 2411), Mowat School No. 1232, Nordheim School No. 2263, North Lake School No. 1431, Odda School No. 1830, Pine View School No. 1225, Rice Lake School No. 2166, Skala School No. 1257, Small Creek School No. 2254, South Bay School No. 1144, Volga School No. 1818, Weiden School No. 1604, Winnipegosis School No. 1020, and Zelena School No. 1816. Most of the schools closed in 1967 and were consolidated into Duck Mountain School Division. Fork River Consolidated School, located at the monument site, remained opened until 1981. The building has since been demolished.
Among the other teachers of Fork River School were Myrtle Patsack (1938), Mildred Watson (1938), Eugene Negrych (1938), J. Slobodzian (1938), and Ernest Hafichuk.
Photos & Maps
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 26.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2019
Back to top of page