This one-storey concrete, brick and steel building was built between 1906 and 1907 as a garage for Joseph Maw who made it the city’s first great automotive centre. It was later renovated into commercial space.
Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Maw (1854-1916)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maw Block (280 William Avenue, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Sanford Building & Maw Garage (291 Bannatyne Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 1979.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 10 June 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.