Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maple School No. 584 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
The Maple School District was established formally in May 1889 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the southeast corner of SE34-14-11 West of the Prime Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Westbourne, what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone. The original name for the district was reportedly planned to be Maple Grove School. However, this conflicted with Maple Grove School No. 247 so it was simplified to Maple School. The school operated through the Fall Term of 1907. From January 1908 until June 1913, students were sent to Gladstone School and, in July 1913, the district was consolidated into the Palestine School District No. 17.
Among the teachers of Maple School were John Duff (Spring-Fall 1890), Gavin Allan Hall (Spring 1891, father of Gavin Allan Hall), Ina Goulay (Fall 1891), James A. Campbell (Spring 1892), Christine [Christina] Murlaid? [Murlard?] (Fall 1892 - Fall 1896 & Spring-Fall 1898), Hugh McKenzie (Spring-Fall 1897), Tena Campbell (Spring 1899 - Fall 1901), records unavailable (Spring 1902 - Fall 1904), Helen Wellwood (Spring-Fall 1905), Mildred Morrison (Spring 1906 & pt Fall 1906 - Fall 1907), and J. H. Brown (pt Fall 1906).
In 1949, the same district name would be re-used with the establishment of the Maple School District No. 2313.
Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Maple School District No. 584, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 27 March 2023