MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lloyd George School (McPhillips Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Operated by Old Kildonan School District No. 2102, this schoolhouse was located on the Outer Two Miles of River Lot 13 of the Parish of Kildonan along the west side of McPhillips Street, near what would later become Leila Avenue. The wooden frame building measured around 26 feet by 28 feet and was named after David Lloyd George (British Prime Minister between 1916 and 1922), as was rural school district in Manitoba. Classes here began around the fall 1923. An October 1950 bylaw proposed the schoolhouses relocation to the corner of McPhillips Street and Templeton Avenue (as well as adding a basement and heating system), but was defeated by district voters. As early as April 1953, the district was looking to sell the schoolhouse, though no sale was completed at that time. Lloyd George School closed in the summer of 1958 and was replaced with Templeton School, located at the proposed site of the rejected 1950 bylaw.

Principals

Period

Principal

1923

Jean Turnbull Moors (1899-1959)

1924-1954

None

1954-1955

Nicholas Bilash (1890-1961)

1955-1958

Olga Jane Pastuszenko

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1922-1923

(spring only) Adalbjorg Johnson? (grades 1-6)

1923-1924

Mary A. Forsyth (grades 1-4, 1923), Jean Turnbull (grades 4-8, 1923; grades 1-8, 1924)

1924-1940

Antoine Alphonse “Anthony” Allegaert (grades 1-8)

1940-1942

Viola May Graham (grades 1-8)

1942-1943

Isabelle Edna Nicholl (grades 1-8)

1943-1944

Katherine Friesen (grades 1-8)

1944-1948

Ethel May Edwards Matthews (grades 1-8)

1948-1954

Mary Faseruk (grades 1-8)

1954-1955

Nicholas Bilash (grades 4-8), Mary Faseruk (grades 1-3)

1955-1956

Mary Faseruk (grades 1-4), Olga Jane Pastuszenko (grades 5-9)

1956-1957

Mary Faseruk (grades 1-4), Olga Jane Pastuszenko (grades 5-9)

1957-1958

Mary Faseruk (1-4), John P. Magalas (5-6), Olga Jane Pastuszenko (7-9)

Photos & Coordinates

Students and teacher of Lloyd George School

Students and teacher of Lloyd George School (circa 1956)
Back row: Linda Karpyshin, Yvette Ripert, Donna Driekluft, ? Driekluft, Arnold Learch, Herbert Doering, Donald Mokry, unknown, Sydney Georgison, Olga Chorney, Lenore White, Jenny Blackner, Olga Habec, unknown, Betty Hanson, Rosie Habec, Frances Donald, unknown, Mrs. Faseruk Teacher. Seated back row, unknown, Marlene Karpyshin, Kay Francis, Rosamund Ripert, Anne Blackner, Duncan Christie, Gary Karpyshin, Carol Zornick. Front row: unknown, Beverley Stranden, Anne Mokry, Dorothy Donald, Judy Karpyshin, Tony Georgison, unknown, Kay Francis.
Source: Judy McKay

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.95328, W97.14812
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belmont School / Lloyd George School No. 453 (RM of Thompson)

Sources:

“By Hayden & Co.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 November 1925, page 2.

“Wild Wings [Migrating shore birds],” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 August 1935, page 5.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 September 1950, page 26.

“$35,000 bylaw faces Old Kildonan voters,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 October 1950, page 10.

“St. Boniface, 9 suburbs go to polls tomorrow,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1950, page 3.

“Two money bylaws approved in suburbs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 October 1950, page 1.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 June 1951, page 20.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 July 1951, page 20.

“Sale of buildings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 April 1953, page 29.

“Offers to purchase,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 November 1953, page 42.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Old Kildonan School District No. 2102, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Judy McKay for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 9 February 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.