Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leeland School No. 1554 (RM of Fisher)

The Leeland School District was established formally in April 1911, and a school building was erected three years later, in the northeast quarter of 11-22-1W, in the Rural Municipality of Fisher. It operated until April 1967. The school is still standing as of 2011 and has been used as a granary.

The teachers at Leeland School included: R. Chekaluk (1915-1916), J. E. Schmidt (1916-1917), Michael Kordash (1917-1918), M. J. Chropiak (1918-1919), M. D. Huley (1918-1919), J. J. Hawryluk (1919-1921), J. P. Hawryluk (1919-1920), Jacob J. Lysecki (1920-1921), M. D. Senassen (1920-1921), Thomas Petty (1921-1922), Clarence W. Fines (1921-1922), Walter Alexander Kostiuk (1922-1923), Johon Doroschuk (1923-1924), Margaret McGrath (1924-1925), B. E. Trottier (1924-1925), Mildred Shatsky (1925-1926), Sylvia Coleman (1925-1926), Nichlas Punak (1926-1929), Annie Punak (1926-1929), Jean Holms (1929-1930), Laura Lavalle (1929-1930), Leo J. Lubiniecki (1929-1930), Helen Lubiniecki (1929-1930), Laura Miller Connar (1929-1930), J. H. Hawryliuk (1930-1931), M. G. Wawrykow (1930-1931), William John Prociuk (1931-1932), Gregory Marko (1931-1932), Mary Chimchak (1933-1934), William Chimchak (1933-1937), Adam William Muzychuk (1934-1935), William Hunkewich (1934-1935), Olga (Chorneyko) Chimchak (1935-1937), Margaret Strong (1937-1938), Mary Chreptyk (1938-1940), Annie Wach (1938-1940), Mary Chreptyk (1940-1942), Peter Drabik (1941-1943), Mary Michalchuk (1943-1944), Helen Klowak (1944-1950), Lawrence Suchar (1950-1951), Leon Michalchuk (1950-1952), Francis Tkach (1952-1953), John Oberton (1953-1954), George Lysak (1954-1955), Anne Chudy (1955-1962), Donald White (1962-1964), Eileen Osnach (1964-1965), and Ronald Sumka (1965-1967).

Leeland School

Leeland School (no date) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 138.

Leeland School grounds

Leeland School grounds (circa 1927)
Source: Education Department Report, 1927, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Leeland School teacherage

Leeland School teacherage (no date) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 138.

Leeland School commemorative monument

Leeland School commemorative monument (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Former Leeland School building

Former Leeland School building (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former Leeland School building

Interior of the former Leeland School building (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.88913, W97.49763
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Poplarfield and District Millennium Album, 1900-2000 by Ed Ledohowski, 2000.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 28 October 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.