Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lavallee School / Ecole Lavallee (505-511 St. Anne’s Road, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This Winnipeg site, at the northeast corner of St. Anne’s Road and Beliveau Road, originally supported two schools in the St. Vital School Division. Lavallee School (at 505 St. Anne’s Road), provided an English-language program for Kindergarten to grade seven students. It shared a gymnasium with Ecole Lavallee (next door at 511 St. Anne’s Road), a French-language program for Kindergarten to grade nine students. Each school had a separate Principal and teaching staff. The arrangement had been approved by local voters as a cost-saving measure.

Constructed at a cost of $1.5 million to replace the original Lavallee School nearby, as well as St. Marie School and St. Eugene School, the single-storey, 74,400-squre-foot joint facility opened with a maximum capacity of 1,050 (450 in the French side, 600 in the English side). Initial enrollment in September 1974 was 520. The schools were eventually unified under a single Principal with the former Ecole Lavallee wing being renamed the Rene Deleurme Centre in honour of its first Principal.

The school is operated by the Louis Riel School Division.

Principals (Ecole Lavallee)




Rene Deleurme



Principals (Lavallee School)




William Triedler




Eileen Wilson


Zyna Steggles


John Charles Douglas “Jack” Fraser - Acting


Linda Baxter


Phil Trottier


Lucy Dooley




Mike Stevens

Vice-Principals (Lavallee School)




John Charles Douglas “Jack” Fraser - Acting


No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Lavallee School

Lavallee School (April 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84220, W97.09352
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lavallee School No. 1538 (548 St. Anne’s Road, Winnipeg)

Memorable Manitobans: Louis Lavallee (1852-1935)


“Parents told province holds transportation key,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 February 1974, page 3.

“Bilingual schools open in St. Vital,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 February 1975, page 22.

“St. Vital S. D. No. 6,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 December 1977, page 58.

“Lice control tax, parent charge,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 November 1980, page 1.

“St. Vital School Division No. 6,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 September 1983, page 23.

“90 teachers sign up to teach course in sex education,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 October 1984, page 5.

We thank Alex Boyes and Jack Fraser for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 November 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!