Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kerr School No. 2204 (Municipality of Ethelbert)
The Kerr School District was organized formally in July 1929. A school building was erected, at a cost of about $3,300, on the northeast quarter of 12-29-22 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Ethelbert. After the school closed in 1965, the remaining students went to Ethelbert Consolidated School No. 1021. The building remains at the site and has been converted into a granary.
Among the teachers of Kerr School were Mike Batenchuk, Anne Stech, Nettie Lubiniski, AIice Chorneyko, Orysia Demchuk, Nick Evasiuk, Walter Cornat, Helen Evasiuk, Nick Bilash, Marcelle Halinsky, Marian Chorneiko, Frank Halinsky, Olesia Kozak, Ludwig Domaratski, Stanley Swiderski, Kay Karalash, Julia Karalash, Meroslaw Pelechaty, Sally Burla, Shirley Little, Peter Robak, and Mary Pitura.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
The Ties That Bind: A History of Ethelbert and District by Ethelbert History Book Committee, 1985, page 51.
Cooking With Class: A Century of Community Schools, A 2008 Fundraising Project of the Ethelbert District Community Fund.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2021